Saturday saw thousands of the War against Women folks take to the street to protest against Planned Parenthood. They managed to get several anti-Planned Parenthood hashtags trending on Twitter as well. While the Center for Medical Progress continues to release its deceptively edited videos to outrage the loud and proud ignorant fringe of the right, elected officials with actual power keep attempting to defund PP while wasting taxpayers money with investigations into PP that turn up no wrongdoing.
It is beyond time to fight back.
Abortion only makes up 3% of Planned Parenthood’s services. Zero federal dollars out of Planned Parenthood’s funding goes to abortion services. The federal funds go to the other 97% of services Planned Parenthood provides, stuff like STI testing, cancer screenings, contraception prescriptions, and FUCKING prenatal care. Sure, there are other locations women can go to get these services, but there aren’t enough of them to handle the overflow that would occur if Planned Parenthood actually disappeared. Sure, rich and upper middle class women would still find someone to smear their pap, prescribe their birth control, provide prenatal care, or terminate their pregnancy. These things are never in danger for the rich and upper middle class. It doesn’t matter how conservative the state Congress gets, or how many clinics get shut down, rich girls from Texas or Mississippi can just get on a plane and fly wherever they need to go to get whatever service they need.
These attacks on Planned Parenthood are attacks on the health and family planning of all women who can’t hop on the jet for a quick trip to Cali for an IUD or an abortion.
The issue isn’t abortion. It isn’t “selling” baby parts.
The issue is poor people having sex and the right’s quest to make sure they have to face the consequences.
Donate something to PP. Write your Congress Critter. Send out a tweet.
And smack down an anti-PP troll on social media. Do your part for a great organization.